CHINMAYA MISSION ANN ARBOR
Parents’ Orientation (2018-2019)
Chinmaya Balavihar was started in Ann Arbor 34 years ago with the blessings of H. H. Swami Chinmayananda. We now conduct Balavihars on Saturdays at Bharatiya Temple Troy, Parkview Elementary School in Novi and on Sundays at Chinmaya Avantika in Ann Arbor and Hindu Temple in Canton. There are more than 1000 kids attending the various Balavihars.
The children are between the ages of 3 & 18. The curriculum is set in such a way that Hinduism is taught in a progressively advance method as the kids grow up. Kids are inspired to learn our culture and rich heritage by well trained and dedicated Sevaks and Sevikas. These people are not only committed to teaching voluntarily, but also attend Vedanta study groups regularly to keep up with their knowledge base.
While the children are in their classes, the parents are exposed to Bhagavad Gita lectures by Smt. Sharada Kumar. She has been trained by Pujya Gurudev, Swami Chinmayananda himself. She teaches some chanting in the beginning to set the mood and then goes into in depth explanation of Gita verses. People are free to ask any questions during this time.
Bringing up children outside of India is made a little easier when they are exposed to our culture and are taught the right values from the young age. Chinmaya method has been proven to be very effective time after time.
So, WELCOME TO THE CHINMAYA FAMILY!
Some Guidelines For the Parents
- The registration form must be completed and payment by check, credit card or cash be made by all the parents attending Ann Arbor, Canton, Novi and Troy Balavihars during the period when Balavihar Registration is open. The fee is tax-deductible.
- Chinmaya Mission is noted for its punctuality. So please try to be at the Balavihar at least 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the session.
- It is MANDATORY that at least one parent attend the session with the kids for liability reasons. This applies to the 12th grade parents also!! It will benefit a lot if both the parents can attend. This way not only do the parents get exposed to our scriptural teachings, but get to be a part of the children’s spiritual unfoldment.
- If for any reason the kids are not able to attend the Balavihar on a particular day, please try to bring them to any other Balavihar to inculcate the habit of regularity.
- Please take down the name, phone number and e-mail address of your kids’ teachers. You MUST inform the teachers if your children are not able to attend the Balavihar and give the REASON FOR THEIR ABSENCE. The children will learn the value of being accountable through this.
- Please have a separate Balavihar bag/backpack for the kids so that they can carry their books, notebooks, homework, handouts, craft projects, pens/pencils etc.
- Please see to it that your children are placing their shoes in a neat fashion.
- Once a year we have a cultural show around the time of Republic Day of India. All children MUST participate in this event. This has many demonstrable benefits: it helps them develop a long-lasting bond with other kids in their class, giving them a sense of security; it develops pride in their heritage; it strengthens their team-building skills – in short, it helps them with their overall holistic personality development.
- In the adults’ class, the main text taught is Bhagavad Gita. But, before that we revise chanting of a few shlokams learnt in the past (Soundarya Lahari, Vishnu Sahasranamam, Lalita Sahasranamam, Kanakadhara Stotram, Aditya Hridayam etc.) Books can be bought from the books co-ordinator. If you do not wish to purchase those books, please download the shlokams from the internet. For Bhagavad Gita, you may buy the book or bring any Bhagavad Gita book from home. Please bring the Gita book and the shlokams every week.
- Since you have the activities for the whole year, please give priority to Chinmaya Mission activities. Please make it a habit to come to Avantika for the special programs to show your support. We need help in various areas.
One of the important underlying factors for this is in case of emergency the kid(s) are attended to, as appropriate, without any delay, if a parent is available on hand.
14. Please remember to bring flowers and/or prasadam whenever there is a Puja at your Balavihar.
With Love and Om,
Monthly Activities (Tentative)
September, October 2018
- Sep 8/9: Ganesha Puja, Parent Orientation (Actual Ganesh Chaturthi Sep 13)
- Sep 17 – Sep 27 : Swami Ramakrishnananda’s Lectures atAvantika
- Oct 10 – Oct 19: Navaratri Celebrations at Avantika
- Oct 12 & 13 Fri, Sat– Garba/Raas at Avantika
- Oct 13/14: Balavihar Saraswati Puja in Balavihar
- Oct 18, Thursday: Saraswati/Children’s Puja at Avantika
- Oct 19, Friday: Vijaya Dashami Puja at Avantika
- Nov 10 / 11 : Deepavali Puja in Balavihar
- Nov 7, Wednesday: Actual Deepavali
- Nov 19, Monday: Bhagavad Gita Jayanti / Swami Tapovana Jayanti at Avantika
- Nov 22, Thursday: Thanksgiving Celebrations at Avantika
- Nov 24/Nov 25: NO BALAVIHAR, Thanksgiving Weekend
- Dec 22/23 & Dec 29/30 : NO BALAVIHAR
- Jan 5/6 Balavihar Restarts in New Year
February, March, April
- Mar 3, Sunday: Annual Day Celebrations at EMU
- Mar 4, Monday: Maha Shivaratri at Avantika
- Apr 13/14: Vishnu Sahasranama Puja for Ramanavami at Balavihars. (Ramanavami actual Apr 14, Sunday)
- Apr 20/Apr 21: NO BALAVIHAR Easter Weekend
- May 5, Sunday: Graduation Day
- May 8, Monday: Pujya Gurudev Jayanti at Avantika
- May 11/12: Mothers’ Day Puja, Gurudev Jayanti in all Balavihars
- May 25/26: NO BALAVIHAR, Memorial Day Weekend
- Jun 8/9: Last Balavihar before summer break
Since you have the tentative monthly activities, please try to join us in the various celebrations at Avantika and show your support. Please let us know in which area you can help. Thanks.